SØG - mellem flere end 8 millioner bøger:
Viser: The Teaching and Learning of Calculus
Patrick Thompson, Guershon Harel og Mike Thomas
om ca. 10 hverdage
Detaljer om varen
- Hardback: 204 sider
- Udgiver: Routledge (December 2019)
- Forfattere: Patrick Thompson, Guershon Harel og Mike Thomas
- ISBN: 9780415831062
The Teaching and Learning of Calculus offers a fresh perspective on the challenges and difficulties of effectively engaging students. The authors argue convincingly that many of the difficulties in learning calculus result from ways students understand, or fail to understand, fundamental mathematical concepts in primary and early secondary school and offer alternative ways of understanding and thinking about early mathematics concepts that have natural extensions to learning calculus.
Areas covered include: -
- What is calculus?
- Foundational mathematical understandings
- Concepts of calculus, including limits and approximations, rate of change and accumulation
- Integration and implicit differentiation
- Teaching, learning and curriculum
Throughout the text the authors show that teaching often fails because many calculus concepts are taught in a way that makes it difficult for students to connect ideas that they study in calculus with ideas that they already have--thus leading students to lean on memorization as a way to cope with instruction that makes little sense to them.
This important book proposes new ways of thinking about the ideas of calculus that will guide maths researchers, teachers and teacher educators in rethinking maths instruction.
The authors conclude by describing the ways in which many current practices in calculus curriculum and instruction are anathemas to high quality learning. They argue for a particular style of integrated active intellectual engagement that students must experience and important conceptual ideas with which students must engage if they are to build coherent, long lasting understandings of calculus that will support using it in other disciplines and supply a base for future mathematical learning.
IMPACT (Interweaving Mathematics Pedagogy and Content for Teaching) is an exciting new series of advanced textbooks for teacher education which aims to advance the teaching of maths by integrating mathematics content teaching with the broader research and theoretical base of mathematics education.
1. What Didactics is and why it is important;
2. What is calculus?;
3. Foundational mathematical understandings and ways of thinking for the calculus (understandings students should have to study calculus);
4. Limits and Approximations;
5. Rate of Change, Accumulation, and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus;
6. Chain rule and Implicit Differentiation;
7. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus revisited;
8. Integration and the concept of differential;
9. A Foundation for Advanced Mathematical Topics;
10. Teaching, Learning, and Curriculum