SØG - mellem flere end 8 millioner bøger:
Viser: Science and the City - The Mechanics Behind the Metropolis
Detaljer Om Varen
- Paperback: 304 sider
- Udgiver: Bloomsbury Publishing USA (Oktober 2017)
- ISBN: 9781472913234
Science is secretly at work behind the scenes of major cities of the world and will continue to be so. Technological advances in fields as diverse as quantum mechanics, electronics, and nanotechnology are proving increasingly important to city life, and the urban world will turn to science to deliver solutions to the problems of the future; more than 50 percent of the world's population now lives in cities, and that proportion is growing fast. Can engineering provide the answer to a viable megacity future?
Science and the City starts at your front door and guides you through the technology of everyday city life: how new approaches to building materials help to construct the tallest skyscrapers in Dubai, how New Yorkers use light to treat their drinking water, how Tokyo commuters' footsteps power gates in train stations. Uncovering the science and engineering that shapes our cities, Laurie Winkless reveals how technology will help us meet the challenges of a soaring world population--from an ever-increasing demandfor power, water, and internet access, to simply how to get about in a megacity of tens of millions of people.
1. Up: The most visible part of a city's skyline is the skyscraper - do you know how they're built?
2. Switch: Sparks will fly - we'll explore the role of electricity, and you'll understand how the grid works
3. Wet: Cities can't survive without water, and they produce a lot of waste. Expect toilet humour!
4. Way: Let's head out on the open road, and explore beautiful bridges and the science of traffic jams
5. Drive: What good is a road without a car? Here we'll talk about everything from tyres to fuel cells
6. Loco: We'll dig our very own tunnel, and you'll discover why 'leaves on the line' cause problems
7. Connect Cities contain other less obvious networks - food and goods, communications and money
8. City: Spend a day of discovery in an imaginary future city