SØG - mellem flere end 8 millioner bøger:
Viser: Discrete Encounters
Detaljer om varen
- Paperback: 718 sider
- Udgiver: Taylor & Francis Group (Januar 2023)
- ISBN: 9781032474489
Eschewing the often standard dry and static writing style of traditional textbooks, Discrete Encounters provides a refreshing approach to discrete mathematics. The author blends traditional course topics and applications with historical context, pop culture references, and open problems. This book focuses on the historical development of the subject and provides fascinating details of the people behind the mathematics, along with their motivations, deepening readers' appreciation of mathematics.
This unique book covers many of the same topics found in traditional textbooks, but does so in an alternative, entertaining style that better captures readers' attention. In addition to standard discrete mathematics material, the author shows the interplay between the discrete and the continuous and includes high-interest topics such as fractals, chaos theory, cellular automata, money-saving financial mathematics, and much more. Not only will readers gain a greater understanding of mathematics and its culture, they will also be encouraged to further explore the subject. Long lists of references at the end of each chapter make this easy.
- Features fascinating historical context to motivate readers
- Text includes numerous pop culture references throughout to provide a more engaging reading experience
- Its unique topic structure presents a fresh approach
- The text's narrative style is that of a popular book, not a dry textbook
- Includes the work of many living mathematicians
- Its multidisciplinary approach makes it ideal for liberal arts mathematics classes, leisure reading, or as a reference for professors looking to supplement traditional courses
- Contains many open problems